Monday, February 24, 2014

I tried it so you don't have to (though after reading this you just might want to)- Compression Pants

I'm sure by now you've heard of the term 'compression' used in reference to just about any article of fitness clothing imaginable: pants, tops, leggings, bras, tights, stockings, crops, shorts, socks.  You name it, you can compress it!  For ages I've been wondering what, if anything, these articles of compression clothing actually do in terms of your athletic performance.  The promises of endurance, speed, anti-fatigue, thermogenesis, and muscle tone seemed too good to be true... But were they?

A few weeks ago, I purchased some pairs of compression pants in hopes of answering those very questions and sharing my findings with FITTEST.  First of all, what they didn't do- Iet's get that out of the way.  I wasn't instantly more toned, agile, or quicker... at least not that I noticed!  Honestly, I would have been much more surprised had compression gear lived up to those particular claims because I am pretty skeptical by nature.  And they're just clothes afterall, not magic.  

Now for what I did experience.  Immediately after donning the compression tights, I looked great- they may not actually enhance muscle tone, but they will certainly make you *look* more ripped. During my test workouts (including a beach run, treadmill run, plyometrics, and legs day) my muscles and joints felt supported, yet not suffocated like I worried they might.  I should mention that my main goal in adding compression tights to my workout wardrobe was to offer extra support to a recently injured knee and I definitely felt like, for that purpose, they fit the bill.  During both types of runs, I did feel less muscle fatigue than normal, however during plyometrics and weight lifting I completed either equal or fewer reps than usual and saw no increase in strength.  Another compression pant perk was their effect on temperature regulation; I was kept warm whilst running on a cool beach in the evening and cool in a crowded, sweaty gym!  Probably the most exciting discovery was that I actually noticed a reduction in soreness following the all of the test workouts for the compression tights too!  

I can't really comment on compression wear's effect on thermogenesis, as I wasn't wearing any type of BMR monitoring band or anything during my test workouts.  But from the standpoint of a trainer, the difference in calories burned while wearing compression gear, if any, would likely be negligible.  

Overall, I was very pleased in the performance, look, and feel of the compression gear I tried.  I was most genuinely surprised with the pleasant effects they had on my post-workout soreness.  I would definitely recommend giving them a go and seeing if they have the same positive effects on your workouts!  Don't forget to read FITTEST next week as I tackle the classic conundrum- who gets a more effective workout, the early bird or the night owl?

Have a similar or differing opinion on compression gear?  Share it in the comments!


Have a wonderful week,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment