Friday, March 28, 2014

Lose an organ, gain an outlook

This month marks my 10th year of life without a thyroid gland or a metabolism of my own, so I thought I'd use this post to get a little personal and share a bit of my experience on FITTEST.  


Losing my thyroid certainly seemed like a curse at first.  I went from being an active teenager to having difficulty getting out of bed in the morning.  Balancing my hormone levels and regaining a semblance of normalcy took far too many years.  Even after my thyroid hormones settled into an appropriate range I still felt... Off.  

There was the brain fog, the fatigue, the depression, and of course the weight gain.  The thyroid hormone is responsible for the body's metabolism, so an under-active (or in my case nonexistent) thyroid is directly linked to all of those symptoms, but none more so than weight gain.

Before my surgery, I was a competitive dancer and swimmer, as well as an avid vegetarian, but at the same time, I was just a regular kid.  I wasn't particularly committed to watching what I ate, nor did I need to work overtime to keep my body slim.  Of course being thyroid-less changed all that- seemingly overnight I was fighting against each pound and counting every calorie.  I had to carefully manage my diet and work out daily just to prevent myself from ballooning.  And I'm actually really thankful for that.  

It's taken me a while to feel positively about losing my thyroid, but I think I'm finally there.  Were it not for my thyroidectomy, were I not forced into the gym by my circumstances, I might never have discovered the euphoria that follows almost every workout, the pride that comes from adding an extra plate (or two) to your bar, the energy that you get when you're actually fueling your body like it deserves.  I might never have discovered my true passion for health, nutrition, and fitness.  I might never have made a career of helping others become the most confident, happiest, FITTEST people they can be.  So thanks for going rogue, thyroid gland.  I still miss you sometimes, but your absence has shaped me into the strong woman I am today.

It wasn't easy, but I won the battle for my health and well being.  And that's the point.  If I can do it, so can you!  After feeling hopeless for years, I finally realized I could regain control over my weight, and more importantly, my self esteem.  There was no miracle pill, no secret diet, no gimmicky workout fads, just lots and lots of hard work.  If you're ready to start your journey to health, reading FITTEST is a great place to begin and if you need support during your journey, I'm always just an email away!


Yours in Fitness,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment